North Dakota Sales Tax for Photographers

by Dec 31, 2020Sales Tax

To begin you have to ask yourself 3 questions…


DEFINITIONS

let’s first take a look at what each of these sale tax terms means so that you can understand how it pertains to Photographers in North Dakota.
These definitions are laid out below.


👉NEXUS

So, what’s nexus? The term “nexus” is used in tax law to describe a situation in which a business has a tax presence in a particular state. A nexus is basically a connection between the taxing authority and a business that must collect or pay the tax. It’s possible to have nexus in more than one state especially if you travel to another state to shoot. So you want to be sure you understand the laws of each state you work in.


👉SOURCE

The source indicates where the sales are taxed.

  • Origin-sourced sales are taxed where the seller is located, so this is based on your zip code.
  • Destination-sourced sales are taxed at the location where the buyer takes possession of the item sold.

Also, keep in mind if the client picks up tangible goods from your location or studio, this is the point where the transaction happens. If you mail or ship to the client, it will be by their zip, not yours.


👉PHYSICAL GOODS

Any physical products sold to a client, items you can touch and hold like prints, albums, frames, etc…


👉DIGITAL GOODS

These are digital items delivered electronically via telephone lines, over the internet, by email, or by another alternative form of non-physical transmission.
Beware of digital prints delivered on a physical device such as a thumb drive or CD as these are no longer digital and are now considered physical because you can touch them.
Services are anything needed to produce the end product, such as shooting, editing, culling, touchup, etc…


👉SERVICES

Services are anything needed to produce the end product, such as shooting, editing, culling, touchup, etc…


👉SHIPPING

This is any shipping charged by you to your client. Third parties such as album companies who dropship or online
galleries where clients can order prints will take care of their own shipping. But if you charge your client shipping,
this is where the shipping rules in this guide apply to you.


North Dakota Sales Tax for Photographers

Below are the sales tax requirements for Photographers in North Dakota broken out. You will find supporting links and resources at the bottom of this post.


✅North Dakota Nexus

physical presence; providing service in person, having a physical location, a warehouse, inventory, traveling salespeople or representatives, attending trade shows, or taking orders or deposits in person.


✅North Dakota Source

North Dakota uses destination-based sales tax; this means the tax rate is based on the zip code of the buyer’s address or where the buyer took possession of the final goods.


✅North Dakota Physical Goods

North Dakota imposes sales tax on physical/tangible goods.


✅North DakotaDigital goods

North Dakota does not impose sales tax on digital goods.


✅North Dakota Services

If separately stated, there is no sales tax on services.
If part of a package with one price, you can only deduct 30% of the total cost as a nontaxable service fee. This means you have to charge sales tax on the other 70% of the package price on the invoice.


✅North Dakota Shipping

The delivery charges are not subject to sales tax in North Dakota.


📆Monthly liability / Filing Frequency:

The North Dakota Office of State Tax Commissioner will assign you a filing frequency.

📆Monthly

Due the last day of the following month

📆Quarterly

PERIOD/DUE

Q1 (JAN – MAR) / APR30
Q2 (APR – JUN) /JUL31
Q3 (JUL – SEP) / OCT31
Q4 (OCT – DEC) /JAN31*(Following year)

📆Semi-Annually

Q1 JAN-JUN / JUL31
Q2 JUL-DEC / JAN31* (Following year)

📆Annually

JAN-DEC / JAN31* (Following year)


LINKS

North Dakota Taxpayer Access Point (TAP)

⭐️LookUp Rates
⭐️ North Dakota Office of State Tax Commissioner – Sales Tax Photographers


Have another question you’d like me to add to this list?

📷 Click here to join my free Facebook community Financially Focused Photographers
I go live in this community every week answering all your tax, bookkeeping, and tax questions!

– Tiffany Bastian

Hey Photographer!

Grab the Free Guide and Handle Sales Tax Like a Pro!

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This